Hi, I'm Beth

A thirtysomething gal, a wife, a mama, and avid runner. Completely abusive relationship with coffee. Attached mama and semi-control freak, realist with perfectionist dark side. Prone to random song and dance.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Fall Yummies

Ladies and Gents, it's that time.... FALL! The most wonderfullest time of the year.... leaves changing, mums blooming, pumpkins , and fall harvest.  The weather may be eighty degrees today, but my mind is full of fall. So. It's time to break out the fall yummies, as in pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies (the best!!!), caramel stuffed spiced cider cookies, and of course fresh apple cider.  Today, we start with pumpkin bread. I found this recipe two years ago and it has quickly become a family favorite.
I don't know about your house, but in mine, I am the only one who consistently eats and enjoys breakfast. (Well, that's not quite true... Owen loves breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack, bedtime snack... but I digress).  Joel and Charis seem to think they have done good if they hop over to the doughnut store and pick out some holes. You would think they whipped up a four course meal, seeing them and their holes, seriously. Anyhoo. In my quest to keep them full before lunch, I came across several bread recipes.  I particularly like banana pumpkin bread, and pumpkin bread. So that is what we will start with today. Here is the recipe (courtesy allrecipes.com) :

2 cups fresh pumpkin  (or one can)
4 eggs, beaten
1 c. oil
3.5 cups flour (use some whole wheat if you like!)
3 c. sugar ( I actually use one cup splenda, two cups sugar)
2 tbsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 c water
1.5 tsp salt
raisins or walnuts optional

Turn oven to 350.  mix all dry ingredients, then add in wet and mix lightly.  Pour into two 9x5 baking pans, and cook for one hour.  If you run into a problem with the outsides cooking and the insides still gooey, do what I did and use three pans or one larger pan.  you may need to adjust the cooking time, a toothpick in the center will tell you more than I can.  Pull out and cool for ten minutes in dish, then flip over gently and cool completely. This stuff is the BOMB diggity, really! Anytime you have a three year old picky eater who asks when you are cooking it, you know it's the bee's knees.
Oh, and watch for my post on fresh pumpkin... it's super easy and tastes SO much better than canned.  I think I was the only one in town who didn't flip out when the canned pumpkins were sparse last year, remember that?  I did buy three cans for this year, just in case.  Post pics of yours, mine is in the oven now!
What are your favorite fall recipes? Shall we do one each week this fall?

3 comments:

  1. I should make this. We usually end up making banana bread after the bananas have gone black, but so many of them have gone black lately that I've stopped buying them altogether! I wish I'd seen this earlier, before I went grocery shopping. I could use some pumpkin bread in my belly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sooo good, and freeze those bananas! I pull em out when I want to make bread and nuke em for a few seconds. Voila!
    We just gave the bus driver some. I think he liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to try this recipe because now I have more cooking space in my kitchen! I just love the onset of fall and the holidays...More excuses to make even more goodies.... Oh, and one of my favorite recipes is pumpkin pie! =) -Jessica

    http://thirtyandgirly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete